When I was 23 (24? them rickety wheels up there are cranking to remember), I had the pleasure of interviewing Iowa-trained, Chicago-steeped, now L.A.-based, graced-with-a-beautiful-artist-wife-and-gorgeous-kid Brett Neveu. I was working at American Theater Company, who was producing American Dead (directed by the multitalented Ed Sobel), and I remember one of the things that most impressed me about talking with him was that even with all the "Brett Neveu is our Playwrighting God" t-shirts that were worn around Chicago and beyond (okay, the t-shirts didn't happen, but the well-earned sentiment was there), he was still a writer busting his ass to produce really great, honest work-- and doing it successfully.
I walked away from our conversation being so inspired that a man who was enjoying such great critical acclaim could still be normal and real and interesting, and he was committed to the idea that his best work was yet to come. So I'm still looking to him to teach me a few things about writing playz. Brett, in all your copious free time, give me a few pointers?
BEACH HOUSE
by Brett Neveu
(Lights up on DEX and PETE sitting at an outdoor cafe table. Both men wear nice designer t-shirts, excellently cut jeans and amazing sunglasses. Both have to-go cups of coffee in front of them.)
DEX
I said get with the jerky, turkey and up on it until its way done, way way done, done like yesterday done.
PETE
I heard that from Kate about two weeks back, that you said that and that you said this: get yourself some fresh stuff, the freshest this side of natural because if not somebody's gonna lay it out like next week time-traveled back to yesterday and made you forget your appointment for kicking it up and down your freaking backside, right.
DEX
If I said that to Kate then I musta been in top form 'cause only the lonely get on it like Kate, her with her futon and her Chinese pillows and her herbal mix in tiny metal bins all stacked neatly on a narrow glass shelf, kitchen-wise.
PETE
Kate does have the mode of let's hang like hanging's a tried and true but once the hanging has hung, then it's more like oh Kate, um, look at the time, look at my phone, look at the clock on my phone Kate, look at the time, it seems that wow I've got to get my shoes, grab my coat and what what what you've made me sleepy, creepy and weepy, oh Kate you suck.
(A pause.)
DEX
Kate does have that amazing beach house. So pull back on the harsh. You don't have to be such a what you believe is an honest man. Don't make the last of anything the first of many futures to come. You'll screw yourself. And that's just facts. Don't be a dick and don't screw yourself. 'Cause I'm not going to that beach house with just Kate and me. 'Cause then I'd commit suicide. No joke. I'd commit suicide. With a gun. Really no joke. I'd kill myself with suicide with a gun. Right on your front deck. So keep your harsh Kate opinions in check. Unless you want me totally, totally and bloodily dead by suicide on your front freaking deck.
(A long pause. PETE sips his coffee.)
BLACKOUT
end
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment